Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Ambition: A Short Story (Part I)

Image Source
“I asked for an iced caramel latte. This is just latte!” Eva threw the drink against the pavement, splattering coffee everywhere. I sighed deeply and threw the discarded cup into a nearby trashcan. Spots of coffee stained my dress. It wasn't the greatest dress, but my boss, Eva, had the fewest complaints about this one.

“You want me to get another one?” I asked patiently. “I’ll make sure they put the caramel in.” Eva had been in a mood all day; I was used to her high-handed comments by now, but something was different about today.

“Don’t bother.” Eva snapped. She adjusted her white leather purse, making sure the designer label faced outward. “Move faster with the coffee next time Danielle, or I may reconsider your position. We’re late for our meeting with the client.” Eva snapped her fingers and I trotted after her. Eva quickened her pace and I hurried to catch up, how she managed to walk that fast in heels was inhuman. We finally stopped at a sleek building in the middle of downtown, a sign beside the glass-front doors told us to check in before heading upstairs.


“Door.” Eva paused, waiting impatiently for me to open the door. I expected this job to be hard; I anticipated the long hours, the frantic energy of an event, the drudgery of administrative work. But I wasn’t ready for the humiliation, the feeling that someone held my career in their hand. That’s what work felt like. Or maybe that was just what it felt like to work for Eva. I finally got the door open and Eva waltzed in, approaching the front desk as if she were the queen demanding her entourage. 

To be continued.....


No comments:

Post a Comment