Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Ambition: A Short Story (Part III)

Last week, we heard Eva's perspective and learned that her newest client was none other than Eva's mother, Jessica. Eva stormed out, leaving her poor assistant Danielle alone with Jessica....

I stared at the elevator doors, wondering what I should do next. Should I finish the presentation with Jessica Collins? Was I supposed to follow Eva? Did she want me to follow? I had a sinking feeling that Eva would fire me if I bothered her right now. She’d definitely fire me if we lost this event with Jessica’s company.

“Danielle, is it?” Jessica Collins came up behind me. Her voice was soft, but I had the strong suspicion that this was a woman who didn’t need to raise her voice for people to listen. “My daughter can be very passionate.”

“Yea.” That’s one word for it. “I should go.”

“If you think that’s best.” Jessica Collins handed me a white card, “My information. Eva is fickle with assistants. You may be out of a job soon. You should work for me.”

“What?” I took the card, my heart pounding over the thought of losing my position. “I don’t think I can----“

“Work for me. Even if you go back to Eva. You can be here part-time, you’ll make good money. I’m sure you need it.” Jessica looked me up and down with a critical eye.

I felt my cheeks get warm at the underhanded comment. “I appreciate this Ms. Collins, but---you would want me to work here even if I’m still Eva’s assistant?”

“I don’t have the time I thought I would, to fix things.” Her controlled smile fell. “I want to stay close to my daughter in any way I can.”

“Oh.” I turned the business card over. “I’ll think about it.” I’d been so desperate for work after college, I had never imagined turning down an offer.


“You can’t say no to a dying woman.” Jessica Collins smiled. “When can you start?”

No comments:

Post a Comment